5 - Type O Negative - October Rust
I was tempted to go with Bloody Kisses, but to be honest October Rust has a more diverse set list and contains some of the greatest songs Type O have ever made. From the go-go inspired "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend" to the horror rich "Wolf Moon".
4 - Rites of Spring - End on End
Rites of Spring only album to be released, at least to my knowledge. They had a unique sound for the time, a combination of raw sounds and emotional lyrics. They've often been compared to Fugazi, I think it's a fair enough comparison, although Rites of Spring album is noticeably less tuned and clean.
3 - Alkonost - Alkonost
Combining Russian hard rock and ancient hymn rhythm Alkonost is a majorly over looked band in the metal scene, maybe it's because they're Russian and rarely tour outside of Europe? Their debut self titled album has a nice mix, and some major call backs to the old progressive rock albums of the 70s and the song "War is Close By Us" features some of the best guitar work I've heard in a long time.
2 - Faith No More - Angel Dust
Before Angel Dust, Faith No More had a mash-up funk sound like the Red Hot Chili Peppers. That all changed when they released probably one of their best albums. The album went from funk to hard rock, showcasing Big Jim's guitar styling and Mike Patton's amazing vocals.
1 - Stone Temple Pilots - Core
What can I say about Stone Temple Pilots that hasn't already been said? Core is one of the most listenable rock albums I've ever heard, with fast aggressive songs like Sex Type Thing to slower more classic hard rock songs like Plush. Scott has always been one of the best vocalists, and he had an amazing ability to make even the most heterosexual of men question their values.
No comments:
Post a Comment